Cherry Chip Nut Bread with Cherry Spread
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup softened butter
- 1/4 cup maraschino cherry juice
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon soda
- 1/2 cup chopped drained maraschino cherries
- Cherry Spread for Bread:1/2 cup cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1/2 cup cherry preserves
- 1 Tablespoon kirsch or other cherry flavored liqueur (optional)
Combine all ingredients except cherries in a mixing bowl.
Blend on low speed of electric mixer 15 seconds; increase to medium speed and continue blending 30 seconds more. Fold in cherries.
Pour batter into a greased and floured 9x5x3 inch loaf pan.
Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour and 10 to 15 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
Cool 10 minutes in pan and remove to wire rack to cool completely.
Cherry Spread for Bread;
Beat cream cheese and butter or margarine at medium speed until smooth.
Add preserves and liqueur. Cover and refrigerate.