- Serves 2.
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2-1/2-inch strips of lemon rind
- 3 cups homemade or canned chicken broth
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 Tablespoons chicken broth
- 1/2 cup well-chilled heavy cream
- Salt to taste
- Snipped fresh chives for garnish
In a saucepan combine lemon juice, lemon rind, and broth. Bring liquid to a boil and boil for 5 minutes. Discard the rind and stir the cornstarch into the chicken broth, then whisk it into the broth mixture. Cook over moderately high heat, stirring until thickened. Remove pan from heat. Stir in the cream. In a blender mix the soup with 1/2 cup crushed ice until it is smooth, and transfer to a metal bowl. Skim the broth off the top, cover with aluminum foil, and chill. When ready to serve, season with salt, ladle into chilled bowls, and serve with chives for garnish.