- I/3 cup olive oil
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 2 medium onions, chopped fine
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 1 medium potato, cubed
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1/4 lb. green beans, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 medium zucchini, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 head cabbage, shredded
- 2 small garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (approx. 28 oz.) Italian-style tomatoes, undrained
- 3-1 /2 cups beef broth
- 2 cups water
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Heat oil and butter in 6-quart Dutch oven over medium heat.
Add onions, stirring frequently 6 to 8 minutes until soft and golden.
Stir in carrots and potato.
Continue cooking 5 minutes longer, stirring constantly.
Add celery and beans, cooking and stirring an additional 5 minutes.
Add zucchini, cabbage, and garlic, cooking and stirring 5 minutes more.
Drain tomatoes, reserving liquid.
Add broth, water, and reserved juice to Dutch oven.
Chop tomatoes coarsely and add to pot.
Stir in salt, pepper, basil, rosemary, and bay leaf.
Bring to boil over high heat and reduce to low.
Cover and simmer approximately 1-1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
Remove bay leaf before serving.
Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with cheese.
Makes 8-10 servings.