- Makes 6-8 entrée servings.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp vegetable or olive oil
- 3 Tbsp Mexican chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 15 1/2-oz can red kidney beans
- 15 1/2-oz can black beans
- 2 (15-oz) cans diced tomatoes with chilies
- 1/2 C tequila, or 1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp salt, to taste
Sauté onion, green pepper, and garlic in oil; add chili powder and cumin. Brown meat, chunky-style, in another large pot. Add drained meat, beans, tomatoes, tequila or vinegar, sugar, and salt to onion mixture. Cover and simmer the chili for 1 hour, stirring frequently to avoid scorching.