Submitted by Serena Dickerson
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp salt, optional
- 4 boneless, skinless, chicken breast halves
- 2 C diced tomatoes, or 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 2 bell peppers, cored, seeded and diced (a mix of red and green, preferably)
- 1⁄2 jalapeno pepper, minced, or to taste 1 1⁄2 C cooked black beans, drained, about 2 (16-oz) cans
- 1 C tomato juice
- 1 tsp dried oregano, or several branches fresh
- 1 tsp dried basil or 2 Tbsp chopped, fresh
Sprinkle garlic and salt (if using) over chicken breast, and place the chicken in a slow cooker. Add remaining ingredients. Cook 6 hours on low. Serves 4. Serve chicken with rice or noodles.
Summer Chicken simmers in a flavorful, thin broth. Serve it in bowls, if you like, and provide spoons so you can get every drop. Any sort of chicken can be used in Summer Chicken—boneless thighs, bone-in pieces, and whole, cut-up chicken are all great choices.