Warm Chicken Liver Spread
Condiments, Dressings, Sauces
- Serves 6.
- 2 sticks butter
- 3 large onions, thinly sliced
- 1 lb. chicken livers, rinsed, dried, trimmed
- 8 slices pumpernickel bread
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground thyme
- 6 small sweet baby gherkins
- 3 green onions, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup grainy Dijon mustard
Preheat oven to 400°. In large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add onions and sweat them for 15 minutes; do not let brown. Once the onions are sweet and tender, add livers and raise heat just a little. Cook until livers are firm and cooked through, another 5 to 6 minutes.
While livers cook, place bread on cookie sheet and bake in oven to dry out and toast, 5 to 6 minutes. Cut toasted bread slices into triangles. Pile toast into a basket.
Combine salt, pepper, thyme, and gherkins and sprinkle over livers and onions. Place mixture in food processor in batches and grind into smooth spread. Transfer to serving bowl. Fill small dishes with green onions and mustard. Leftover spread can be chilled for several days.