- Makes 6 servings.
- 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups yellow onions, chopped
- 2 medium butternut squash (about 3 lbs. total)
- 2 medium apples, peeled, cored, and chopped
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup apple juice
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 unpeeled shredded apple for garnish
Melt butter in a heavy pot. Add chopped onions and cook, uncovered, over low heat until onions are tender. Peel squash, scrape out seeds, and chop flesh as fine as possible. When onions are tender, add chicken stock, squash, and apples. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, partially covered, until squash and apples are tender, about 30 minutes.
Pour soup through a colander, reserving liquid. Put solids in a food processor using 1 cup of the liquid, and process until smooth. Return to the pot and add remaining liquid and apple juice. Taste to adjust seasoning if necessary and simmer until heated through. Serve immediately with shredded apple for garnish.