Deep Dish Blackberry Pie
- Serves 6 to 8.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, chilled and cut into small pieces
- 5 Tablespoons ice water
- 5 cups blackberries, gently washed
- 1 cup plus 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled and cut into small pieces
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Place dry ingredients in a food processor. Add butter and process until mixture has a coarse texture. With machine running, add water a tablespoon at a time until dough holds together and forms a ball. Take dough out and wrap in waxed paper. Chill for 30 minutes.
Preheat oven to 425°. Roll out half the dough on a lightly floured surface. Place piecrust in an 8-inch deep-dish pie pan, leaving about 1/2-inch excess dough all around edge.
Place berries in a bowl. Mix 1 cup of the sugar with the flour and sprinkle over blackberries. Sprinkle chilled butter pieces and lemon juice over all and toss. Mound into the pastry crust. Roll out the other half of the dough and place over the top of the pie. Cut to fit and bring excess dough from bottom layer up over edge of top crust and crimp to seal. Cut several slits in top of crust for steam to escape. Mix remaining sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle on top of crust. Bake until crust is dark golden, about 35 to 40 minutes.