- Serves 8.
- 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 10 slices homestyle white bread, 1/2- to 3/4-inch thick
- 4 ripe peaches, peeled, sliced, and drained on paper towels
- 3 large eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Pinch of salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Confectioners’ sugar for dusting
Preheat oven to 350°. Lightly butter a 2- to 3-quart baking dish. Lightly butter the slices of bread on one side. Cut each slice in half diagonally. Arrange pieces buttered side down in the baking dish. Lay peach slices over each layer of bread. Beat eggs, yolks, sugar, and spices in a large mixing bowl. Whisk in the milk and cream and add remaining ingredients. Pour mixture over bread. Place pan in a larger pan and fill halfway up the sides with warm water, creating a water bath that pudding will bake in. Bake 40-50 minutes or until just set. Cut into squares and serve with a dusting of powdered sugar.